Sunday, February 13, 2011

What are we doing?

So where are we in this process? First of all, you have to realize how LITTLE I really know. I mean, seriously, I have a dear friend Emily who is walking me through every single step, holding my hand too! Without her, I couldn't even pronounce Dossier (which by the way is pronounced Dah-see-ay). As you read through this, don't be surprised when a more knowledgeable friend of mine comes in and corrects me. I'm just saying, I know very LITTLE!! :)
The first step, big step, is a home study. This is, as I explained it to my school kids, an investigation of you and your household to make sure you're not a "bad person." You have to get letters of recommendation, interviews, doctors' clearance, etc. It's quite amazing! You go in for a interview (both Seth and me) then they come to your house and do separate interviews and tour your home. When they are finished, you get an 8 page report that is your life. It's quite eye-opening to read your entire existence as summed up in 8 pages!
So, we are finished with the home study- CHECK!
Next, you start furiously working to gather the paperwork for the Dossier. This is about a million papers. More doctors appointments, bank statements, letter of employment, a psychiatric evaluation (yes, I've already heard every single joke!) background checks and much more. Lots of it must be notarized, some county certified (which verifies that your notary is legit) and then a few others State Certified (which verifies that your County and Notary are legit).
In the meantime, you must send some papers into the US Gov't to get fingerprinted, get fingerprinted,get lots of things translated into French creole (Haiti's language), send it to the Haitian Consulate in Miami, wait on another form to come saying you were fingerprinted. All of that goes INTO your Dossier. You send it all to Haiti and then they decide for you. WHEW!!!
So, WHAT ARE WE DOING?
We have finished the Home Study. We have filled out all 913 of the forms needed for the Dossier. We have gotten them all notarized. We are waiting on the form to go get fingerprinted. This week, we will send our papers for translation and wait some more.
The good news is that I am really good at waiting. I am extremely patient and laid back, so this part is a real breeze for me! OK IT'S NOT!!! :) I am dying. I mean really, how long does this take??
But here's my conclusion..... none of this was my idea, none of this is my timing either. God had this plan long before I was ever told about it. He knows how it will all come out too.
I would like to ask you to pray, though.
First, please pray for my sweet kids- NO not these kids here in my house, they're FINE!! My kids in Haiti who I have not yet met. Pray for God's protection over them, that He send his angels to comfort them. Oh, and a group from our church visited the home where our kids are now yesterday (no, we don't know them still). Erica, our minister, said they were playing Christian praise music for the kids. Doesn't that just bring tears to your eyes? It did mine!
Second, please pray for this process. There are SO many hurdles and obstacles. Please pray for God's provision on this process, no lost paperwork, speedy government workers, smooth sailings.
Third- just pray for us. You know one of my favorite past times is to worry!! I heard this amazing speaker this weekend say that God told her (upon hearing bad news) to fast- to fast from WORRY! Isn't that inspirational? One day I'll try that! :) Please pray for our family as we adapt to the changes that will surely come. God will provide!

2 comments:

  1. A blog seems like a great way to keep everyone informed! I can't wait to see their sweet faces!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Racheal, Seth, Elizabeth and Sam: What a blessing you have given me in reading all of the updates with Bobby. You have been in my prayers and I know that God in all of his mighty works and wonders has chosen you special for this great task. I believe that God has something so great to come of all of this that our minds cannot get our arms around it now. I also thank you for the pics of Bobby, I too, like you, already love him and can't wait to give him all kinds of hugs!!!!! You will continue to be in my prayers and I pray for all things to be done according to his perfect will. God bless all of you. Keep me posted.

    ReplyDelete